Thursday, May 27, 2010
Wednesday, May 26, 2010
We have some exciting Summer Activity Groups kicking off the week of June 6! This is a great way for you to make some new friendships and grow spiritually at People’s Church while getting involved in your favorite activities. There are a variety of groups, including: basketball, grilling, dance, golfing and many more. Check out this short video about our Summer Activity Groups.
Tuesday, May 25, 2010
People's Church has made online giving easier than ever. Recurring gifts are ideal for those of you who prefer to pay bills online. This is also a great way to give tithes and offerings while you are away on vacation or business this summer. Check out this short video for the simple instructions on setting up recurring gifts at our secure website, www.peopleschurch.tv.
Monday, May 24, 2010
1. My wife and I had a great date on Thursday night. We went to dinner and a movie. We saw Iron Man 2. We thought it was average. We like the first one better.
2. On Saturday, we grilled hamburgers and hot dogs. We ate outside in the backyard. I really enjoyed hanging out with my family. It was a really fun time.
3. Church was awesome! Our Production, Music and Video teams tore it up! It was incredible. If you missed Sunday, you missed it!
4. Many lives were changed! Many people gave their lives to Christ.
5. People decided to put God first in their lives. People decided to trust God and His Word. People decided to be content and grateful for God's blessings.
6. Give us TODAY our DAILY bread! What an incredible prayer!
7. Worship was awesome. I love what God is doing at People's Church.
8. Every week, we are 1000 to 1500 people bigger than last year. Blown away by what God is doing! To HIM be ALL the GLORY!
9. People's Church, way to go! Because of your generosity, we bought a much needed full color copy machine for Ridgeview Elementary School! Thank you for being faithful to tithe and give offerings above your tithe. I'm honored to be your pastor!
10. This summer, we have some amazing things lined up! We are concluding Conversations this Sunday. We are kicking off a new series called Unstoppable in June! This is going to be a great series! God's church and God's people are unstoppable! Get ready to be equipped to live an unstoppable life.
11. On Father's Day, it's the 2nd annual Dad Fest event. At Dad Fest, there will be classic muscle cars, Power Team muscle performance, and we are giving away flat screen TV's, recliners & Bass Pro Shop gift cards to some lucky dads in every experience.
12. On July 4th, we are having our own inside fireworks show inside of the church auditorium. Yes, I said INSIDE with a special guitar performance as we celebrate our FREEDOM.....In Christ! Don't you dare miss it!
13. In July, we are kicking off a new series called The Best Of The Best! We will be doing 3 encore performances of the best ever People's Church performances! The three performances will be Thriller, Beyonce’s Single Ladies and Christmas in July! I'm telling you, the summer is power packed at People's Church! GET READY!
Thursday, May 20, 2010
I want to share some thoughts of why leaders lead people but don't get results in their organization.
1. Expectations aren't clear: If people don't know where the organization is headed, any road will get them there.
2. Not helping people develop goals: At People's Church, our Leadership Team has quarterly goals.
3. A lack of accountability: Goals with no accountability usually don't get accomplished. You get what you inspect, not expect.
4. Afraid of the tough conversations: Many leaders won't have tough and honest conversations with those they lead and stifle their people and the organization.
5. Not having tough conversations often enough: Your people deserve to know how they are doing. Once a year or once a quarter is not enough. If a leader is falling short, they need to know so that they can improve.
6. Laziness: Some leaders are lazy, and they have created a lazy culture in their organization. It's hard to get results golfing 3 times a week and having office hours from 11AM to 3PM.
7. Focusing on things that don't really matter: Some leaders spend their time on the wrong things. Hard work in the wrong areas won't produce great results.
8. Doing too many things: A lot of leaders and organizations get bogged down by doing too many things. Doing a few things well will trump doing a lot of things average.
9. Investing in followers instead of leaders: If you want addition, invest in followers; if you want multiplication, invest in leaders.
10. Insecurity: When a leader is driven by insecurity, they surround themselves with weak people, and it stifles the results.
Wednesday, May 19, 2010
On May 23-28, there will be a 25-minute interactive experience called ThePornEvent.com where people can learn more about the effect porn has on our lives and relationships.
ThePornEvent.com is open to people everywhere, so feel free to leverage it to help individuals at your church. Expect a non-threatening environment featuring stories, helpful answers, and an open conversation with people who’ve traveled a similar path. ThePornEvent.com is for anyone who is interested in what it looks like to live a life beyond pornography.
Tuesday, May 18, 2010
One of the mistakes many leaders make is they let go of knowing the details too soon. When you are dealing with a developing leader, you need to let them prove themselves first by getting some wins before you totally turn them loose. As you develop leaders, you have to have the wisdom to know when you can let go of knowing details. If you let go of knowing too soon with a developing leader, you will be blindsided, and you're not doing your job well because things are always falling through the cracks. This kills so many leaders because they don't develop people, they just hand out assignments and think a developing leader will produce results.
Don't confuse micromanaging with developing leaders. Many leaders get confused about this. You are not micromanaging when you are developing somebody. There is a season when you need and must know the details until you develop trust and the developing leader proves they can deliver high quality results consistently. Once the leader has proven him/herself, you need to turn them loose to lead and to lead strong without knowing all of the details. Don't frustrate a proven leader by making them tell you the details. That's micromanaging, and Don't You Dare Micromanage Me!
Thanks to swerve.lifechurch.tv for inspiring these thoughts.
Monday, May 17, 2010
1. The MC Hammer “You Got To Pray” performance was amazing. Our Production Team tore it up. I may put the entire performance on my blog this week.
2. Brian, Andy, Hilary and your teams, way to go. You all put together top shelf performances, specials and videos every week. You all are such gifted people. You are providing PC 52 unforgettable experiences. Way to go!
3. Worship was super great on Sunday. Our entire Worship Team has such a heart for God, and it shows every Sunday. I'm grateful for your passion for God.
4. Our Parking Lot Team did it again! They made a huge difference in the rain. Yesterday, a first-time guest told me how she was impacted by the friendliness of the entire church, and she said it began in the parking lot. Way to go Parking Lot Team, Greeters and Ushers! You are making a difference in people's lives.
5. The kickoff of our new series Conversations went well. I love teaching God's Word. Prayer is such a huge part of the Christian life.
6. The best feedback I got yesterday was from a man who told me that he never knew what the Bible taught about how to pray. It's an honor to equip people with the proper tools to have a great relationship with their Heavenly Father. This man's life will be forever impacted by learning some scriptural nuggets about how to pray. I love it, love it, love it! Go, God!
7. Many people gave their lives to Christ! Thank you, Jesus, for grace, mercy and forgiveness.
8. On Thursday, I met with a local east side pastor to answer questions about how to take their ministry to the next level. I appreciated his heart and hunger. I believe God has great things in store for this church. We are all better when we work together. It's all about building God's Kingdom!
9. We had more rain and storms yesterday. May is always interesting in Oklahoma. I'm glad the weather men keep us informed, but I do not like it when I miss my favorite shows like the NBA playoffs.
10. My family has had a tough week and a half with sickness. We are getting better. Thank you for praying.
11. This Sunday our Production Team is performing a Bon Jovi song. Don't you dare miss it.
12. If you haven't signed up to lead a Summer Activity Group, do it today by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Whatever your favorite summer activity is, turn it into a time of fellowship and fun with your church family by leading a Summer Activity Group. Go for it. You will have a blast!
13. On Thursday night, my son Cale had his kindergarten graduation. He is headed to 1st grade in the fall. I love watching my kids grow up and seeing God form them into what He desires them to be.
14. Two more weeks of the series Conversations, and then, we are kicking off a new series called Unstoppable! It’s going to be a great series. Because God is on our side, we are Unstoppable.
Thursday, May 13, 2010
1. Most of my family has been struggling with a cold this week. Thanks in advance for praying for me and my family.
2. I'm really excited about kicking off our new series Conversations this Sunday.
3. I'm pumped to see our Production Team perform an MC Hammer song this Sunday.
4. I really enjoy developing leaders. I love getting the best out of people.
5. I'm a big believer in believing in your team. If you don't believe in your team, who will?
6. I've been doing a lot of dreaming about the future of People's Church.
7. I'm passionate about reaching people who are far from God in the Oklahoma City metro area.
8. I believe playing it safe is risky, so we are going to live by faith and dream big at People's Church.
9. This past Sunday, there were a handful of people who stood up when I asked who has been attending People's Church since day one. I'm very grateful for those who have stayed the course and supported the vision of connecting people to God and to others. Thank you, folks, for a great 8 years.
10. God is working in my heart as I study for our new series.
11. I can't wait to share with you the things God is speaking to my heart about the future of People's Church.
Wednesday, May 12, 2010
Tuesday, May 11, 2010
This Sunday, we are kicking off a new series called Conversations...Talking With God. We will be having a special MC Hammer performance that you have to invite your friends and family to. This is going to be a Sunday to remember! Check out the short promo video!
Monday, May 10, 2010
1. It was a great weekend in the Cooper house.
2. I love celebrating Mother's Day with my wife. She is such a great wife and an incredible mom to our four kids. I'm a super blessed man.
3. My wife is a super gifted communicator. She did an excellent job teaching God's Word in all 3 experiences. It should be online later today so be sure to watch or listen to it @ www.peopleschurch.tv. I'm so proud of her.
4. My wife worked really hard on the message. It takes hours to put together a message and she spent a lot of time over the last month working on it. Thanks so much, Tiffany, for blessing all of us at PC.
5. The only bad thing this weekend was Tiffany wasn't feeling well, and two of our kids were sick. My wife's throat hurt so badly on Saturday night, we weren't sure if she would be able to speak on Sunday morning. We prayed, and she drank coat throat tea and took some medicine and felt a lot better on Sunday morning. Thank you, Jesus!
6. If Tiffany couldn't have taught, I don't know what I would have preached at last minute. Let's just say it would have been interesting. :)
7. One of the ways we celebrated Mother's Day was by giving my wife a break from cooking all weekend. Plus, she had to teach and needed a lot of rest and extra time to spend with God.
8. I did all of the cooking this weekend. That means I bought us some Kentucky Fried Chicken, McDonald's and McAlister's.
9. I called my mom and wished her a happy Mother's Day. My mom lives in Rochester, NY, so I didn't get a chance to see her. I love my mom and greatly appreciate the way she has invested in my life throughout the years. Thanks, mom!
10. On Sunday, we informed teens and parents about our summer youth camp called Encounter. Get signed up, teens, and get ready to encounter God in a huge way.
11. On Sunday, we showed a video promoting our Summer Activity Groups. Email email@example.com today if you would like to lead an activity group. Turn whatever you love to do in the summer into a fun time to get to know some of your People's Church family.
12. We also showed a video promoting a special performance we are doing this coming up Sunday, May 16. We are going to kick it old school with an MC Hammer performance. You don't want to miss this.
13. I'm kicking off a new series next week called Conversations...Talking with God! I'm excited to teach our church about prayer.
14. We celebrated our 8-year anniversary at People's Church yesterday. I can't believe it's been 8 years. The time has flown by. From 65 people to thousands of people, tons of lives have been changed. God has been so good to PC. I am humbled to be a part of this move of God. The most exciting thing is the best is yet to come for PC! Our best days are ahead of us!
15. We gave 9 mothers a great grand prize yesterday. Each mom received a shopping mall cash card, a Cheesecake Factory gift card for two and a day at the spa. It is always exciting to bless moms. I hope all the moms had a great Mother's Day!
Wednesday, May 5, 2010
Tuesday, May 4, 2010
My wife is teaching this Sunday on Mother's Day at PC! This Sunday is also the 8-year anniversary of PC. We have an awesome experience planned! Check out the short video to see some of things that will be happening this Sunday!
Monday, May 3, 2010
1. Phenomenal day at People's Church!
2. Third largest attendance in the history of PC behind Easter 2010 and the Sunday after Easter 2010.
3. 127 adult salvations, and 73 people baptized.
4. The message Courage To Forgive really ministered to people. I heard so many comments about how the message really hit home for so many people. Praise God!
5. Unforgiveness always over promises and under delivers.
6. When you're chained to unforgiveness, you are letting somebody else control your life.
7. Brian Rush, our Creative Arts Director, and the Worship Team performed the OneRepublic song Apologize. Brian and the band tore up the song! For real! It was a killer performance!
8. Worship was great. I enjoy worshipping with our church family.
9. Thank you to the board of PC for baptizing people yesterday. I'm grateful for your servants’ hearts and passion for God and His church and His people.
10. The OKC Thunder played lights out against the defending champions in the first round of the playoffs. They got beat, but I am proud of their effort. Next year will be a big year for the Thunder. Thunder UP.
11. I love hearing life-change stories in the hallways of PC. Yesterday, I met two men who recently got out of prison and were at PC yesterday seeking Christ. One man just got out of prison last week. I love our church. I love that we reach people from all different walks of life. So humbled by what God is doing.
12. I had a great conversation with my bride last night. I love hearing her heart. I love being her husband. I want to continue to grow to be the best husband I can be for her.
13. I'm trying to decide who I want to win the NBA Championship this year. I will decide soon.
14. My wife is teaching on Mother's Day at PC! We have a special experience planned for the 8-year anniversary of PC. I still can't believe it's been 8 years this coming up Sunday.
15. Have a super Monday! Live a life of forgiveness. People will hurt you, but choose to forgive. It's a choice not a feeling!